Monday, November 24, 2008

Mewtwo

Yeah, I'm 24 and I like Pokemon. Want to try and make something of it? Not that I'd fight you of course. I'm a 24 year old man who likes Pokemon, I've never been in an actual fight in my life. Besides, it's not lame to like Mewtwo. He is the most powerful Pokemon ever, and was included in Super Smash Brothers: Melee, which was the most awesome fighting game ever. He sucked in it, but I imagine it would be hard to translate Mewtwo's tremendous power accurately into a fighting game. He's better than Lucario anyways.

Mewtwo has appeared in so many mediums (just so it is known, I'm basing this article primarily on his appearance in the anime) it is hard to establish exactly what his powers are, but in every incarnation Mewtwo's power lies in his vast mental capacities. No, I ain't talking book learnin.' Mewtwo is a world class telepath and telekinetic. Just being one or the other wouldn't help here. Charles Xavier, for example, could not beat Superman despite his vast telepathic powers. This is because telepathy wouldn't protect Prof. X from Superman's speed and power, his body would be vulnerable. A straight telekinetic could offer a limited defense against Superman, but unless he was abnormally powerful would not be able to overcome him (I'm said many bad things about Supes here, but in reality he would be a dominating physical threat).

Only the combination of the two could beat Superman. Someone would could attack Superman telepathically (which Manchester Black tells us has worked very well in the past) but can offer up a defense long enough for it to matter. Mewtwo lacks the speed to use his telekinesis effectively against Superman, but makes up all the offense he needs with his telepathy. Also, if we regard the video game appearances, then Mewtwo also has the ability to erect barriers to defend himself and the ability to recover from wounds rapidly (costs a turn though). He is also shown to able to refelct certain attacks back at the attacker. He kicked the shit out of a Gyarados that way in the movie.

If Superman were a Pokemon, what type would he be? I'm willing to bet he'd be Fighting, which would give Mewtwo an advantage. I hope you enjoyed this article, it cost me all my street cred!

Next Week: Firelord

No comments: