Friday, January 2, 2009

Gladiator


Okay, I admit it. When I first conceived this entry I had Superman fighting General Maximus Decimus Meridius from Ridley Scott's epic film. And you know what? Russel Crowe would have fucking won!

Let it not be said that I am too blind to see what is set before me. I know Gladiator for what he is. I am aware of his origins, both factious and fictitious. I know that Gladiator is nothing more than a pastiche of Superman (though technically Gladiator is based on Mon-El and Superboy, same difference I know). His real name is even Kallark for Christ's sake! However, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery in this case, as Superman has the distinction of being the inspiration for one of the most kick-ass characters in the Marvel Universe.

Gladiator shares all the powers of Superman. He's capable of flying faster than light in the vacuum of space, and he once punched the Juggernaut across the planet. No small feat right? He has survived energies on par with exploding suns and all his senses are on par with Superman's as well. He has heat vision too.

Okay, so by all accounts they seem evenly matched. But what gives Gladiator the edge is fact that Gladiator's powers are linked to his own self-confidence. the more smug and holier-than-thou Gladiator's attitude gets, the more powerful he becomes. It has been stated pretty much plain as day that Gladiator can overcome any foe as long as he simply believes he can. Has anyone though to simply tell Gladiator this? That as long as he maintained a positive outlook he would be essentially unbeatable? Seems like a no-brainer. Knowing I was invincible would definitely do wonders for my self-confidence.

That is why Superman's flamboyance is Gladiator's advantage. Think about it. Who would look at Superman's ridiculous, mildly homosexual costume and think to themselves "This guy could be tough?" Seriously, super-intimidation is not one of Superman's powers.

Next Week: The Borg

No comments: